Friday, October 21, 2016

Blog #9 - Industries with their own "literacy" gauge



So after our discussion in class about how different jobs have different criteria when it comes to being "literate" in the field I began thinking of certain areas in my life where my "literacy" has grown in over the past year. It's not that my level of reading, per se, has grown, but rather my level of comprehension on certain subjects. 

The thing I never really acknowledged about literacy before was that understanding what is said is basically 90% of the problem. I have no idea about car parts or engine problems; I suck at computer malfunctions - usually I just turn mine off and on again until the problem resolves itself...whoops; and stock market talk is just a bunch of mumbo-jumbo to me. 
BUT
I realized I have been growing more and more literate in another part of my life. I've taken up a hobby of sewing since this summer. 
Image result for sewing meme
And when I say "taken up" what I really mean is I bought a sewing machine and I just watch a bunch of youtube videos on sewing.


I've learned a lot, though, from what I've watched and I can clearly see myself making progress from the very first time I started watching people make clothes to now. They'd be talking about how to remember seam allowance, straight stitch, zig-zag stitch, change out a needle foot for one with a zipper attachment...crazy talk like that. 
Image result for sewing meme
I had no clue what the heck they were saying.
Over time I began assimilating into the lingo and making sense of it all. 

Now I know you have to start with pattern cut from paper and then trace it onto the fabric. 

You have to always be aware of what side of the material you're using is going to be on the outside when you wear it (that way you don't make nasty seams and knots where all the world can see!).

Image result for sewing memeI've learned what it means to seam-rip, which is where you take apart old stitches (like from clothes you already have or something you really REALLY destroyed while sewing).

I know you sew right-sides-together so the seam stays on the inside and wrong-sides-together when you want to go for that frayed and weathered look.

I know what types of material are "slippery" to sew with - like satin or silk so when you sew two pieces together you have to hold them very carefully so they don't go moving all over the place and mess up the seam...
 which ones fray... which ones stretch so you don't have to sew in a zipper but instead you can just pull it over your head and voila...I know how faux suede doesn't need to be sewn after cutting because the thread won't unravel in it. 

But most importantly I've learned that there will always be problems when you're a beginner...

Image result for failed sewing projects

We are literate in a lot more areas than we realize and we are always expanding our knowledge. So even if you're a waiter, a mechanic, a doctor, whatever, you ARE intelligent and you have skills that others don't and won't ever comprehend. 



No comments:

Post a Comment