Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Blog Two - Genres


Image result for student writing

In-class essays were never fun in high school. You knew as soon as you got into class you'd have a mere 50 minute time limit to cram an elegantly addressed, perfectly articulated, and transitionally smooth essay. It didn't even matter if you were good at writing or not - those five-paragraph essays sucked.

Looking back at that, it's hard to imagine why anyone would want to become a writer. But what I didn't see is that writing is about so much more than school-type expository or persuasive essays. Being a writer isn't limited to just novels or scientific research findings. There's a whole other world of writing that we come across everyday which lives worlds apart from the mundane genre of the five-paragraph essay. 

In Devitt's article she brings up many points of why there's fear in teaching students different genres of writing. From the viewpoint of a teacher, a five-paragraph essay is the cleanest, most traditional form of writing that enables you to gauge how effective a student's argument is. Points are clearly laid out in each paragraph and the thesis can easily be spotted. There are so many more avenues to take, however, when trying to get information across. Pamphlets, brochures, blogs, articles, infographics. 

Like Professor Flewelling said on the first day of class - the day we graduate will most likely mark the last time we will ever be tied to the requirement of five-paragraph essays. That day, however, doesn't mark the last chance we have at written communication. We have to start learning how to navigate these other routes of written word. We have to learn how to effectively get our opinions out there, whether it be through meme, private journaling, public letters to the editor, ANYTHING. Just so long as we continue the conversation that makes up our life. 

In learning the ropes of new genres people can start to take on a persona of the ideaologies backing that genre (like how it was mentioned a Mozart composer would probably behave differently than a Heavy Metalist). I wonder if that is not for the fact that there are certain expectations of a genre. Certain characteristics, you could say, that draw the audience in. In trying to build a successful "meme" or "article" or whatever your genre may be you have to adopt those characteristics in your writing to please the audience. We morph into that personality so that the success of our work gets the point across. 

That isn't always such a good thing, though, according to Devitt's article. She stresses that we need to start criticizing how genres are molded. The genres "represent particular viewpoints that shape our existence on the world" (Devitt 348) and sometimes it's too hard to see who is influencing who. It's like the age old questions of whether or not media creates violence or simply acts as a mirror, displaying it to viewers. We are politically and socially swayed by genres and in order to remain always questioning the right and wrong it is important to learn about genres so that we can pick out the biases among them.
Image result for communicate
Learning about the genres of blogs, and actually experiencing it, has given me some time to reflect on my first impressions of this new type of written communication.

The vibe of a blog offers somewhat of a false sense of security. It is almost like writing a diary. The words flow from mind to keyboard and there isn't any pressure to plan everything out. I'm in the comfort of my own home and that makes me feel safe - yet I know that this is going to be published on the internet and others are going to read it. I know not everything I say if going to be backed by proof or even taken positively by viewers. But this is still a great source of communication. Following someone's blog is like having an internet pen-pal friend. You can see what they are up to and their blog usually has a theme. You can pick when to subscribe and unsubscribe and there is no obligation to read every post. That is my take on blogging so far. I don't follow any blogs as of yet, but I do enjoy a good vlog - which isn't so far off. It is all very personal and thank you for taking the time to read this. As I continue blogging for class I am sure I will find my "blog voice" and my writing style will change to fit the genre. Opening up to new ideas isn't only important for classroom learning it's also a big part of personal growth. The more we know about the world, the more we find out about ourselves.


4 comments:

  1. I totally understand that feeling of mentally preparing for an in-class essay. I know that when I'm rushed I don't write nearly as well, and when there is a specific five-paragraph structure that I have to follow it gets even worse. Also, my handwriting becomes even sloppier than it is normally because of how fast I'm writing, making my essay borderline indecipherable.

    There are so many other ways to look at writing, and it seems as though these different styles should be explored more by teachers. I agree that some teachers see the five-paragraph format as an easy way to teach the basics, but words comes from the mind and so does creativity. That's what we need to be cultivating. Like you, I have sorta been treating these blogs like diary entries where I can voice my thoughts and opinions without worrying about a specific structure. I'm definitely excited to read blogs every week and get a different perspective on each topic so that I can think about things in a broader way.
    -Sam Spoden

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember those in-class essays. I always dreaded them. They're probably one of the reasons why I avoided taking any GE classes that required writing a ton of essays. Also because I would probably procrastinate until the last day to start it, but thats a different story.

    I really liked the part where you talked about how we should continue to write even after we graduate. It honestly kind of inspired me lol The part when you said “Just so long as we continue the conversation that makes up our life”, really emphasized the fact that genre, and writing in general, is a big part of our life that we should continue to participate in because its one of the many ways we can voice our thoughts, opinions, and feelings. I also thought it was interesting when you mentioned the part about the media and how we are politically and socially swayed by genres because it was something that I didn’t even think about when writing my blog.

    - Joan Laygo

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I read your blog, I totally agreed that a five paragraph essay probably is the easiest genre of writing that teachers can teach because of it's strict structure. For the writer/ student on the other hand, this can be easy in that we know exactly what should be included in the paper, but also hard because we're not sure if what we have is good enough. Well that's how I would feel. I like how you stated that after college, we'll probably never write in such a formal way ever again, yet we still need to learn how to communication appropriately to get our opinions across. I was never the type of person to keep a journal or diary, but sometimes I think I should because it would be cool to look back on 20 years and see how I was feeling that day. That is similar to a vlog though, which I also watch too! I think it's pretty cool to see something play out, but that's real and not fiction (though I do like my drama TV shows.) Then the vloggers can watch what happened in their life that day! Maybe I should vlog my life instead of having a journal... nah my life isn't even that interesting! haha.

    --Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked the reflective nature of this blog, Megan, how you synthesized all the ideas I've got floating out around the class and added your own ideas.

    Whoa. I sound like a rhetoric instructor.
    EF

    ReplyDelete